Surviving assaults with sharp objects comprise a regular part of our training. Such objects, after all, are readily available. Some examples.
An armed attacker is obviously extremely dangerous. A stab or cut can disable or kill. Escape is your best option.
Why do we advocate escaping rather than disarming? Here are 4 reasons.
1. Speed: Blocking or deflecting and incoming arm is extremely challenging. Controlling is more difficult – even for the best trained in the world!
2. Unpredictable: The attacker can stab and slash from various directions and angles to different parts of your body. You don’t know!
3. Time: Disarming takes time (even a few seconds is too long), time that you are preoccupied with one person and limiting your environmental awareness. (e.g. of other attackers).
4. Getting Close: The more we are engaged with an attacker at close range the more things can go wrong. Disarming when you can escape increases the risk of injury.
There are times when disarming is necessary – no escape routes, protecting others…
In light of the immense difficulty of disarming, avoid if possible.
– Christopher Gagne, Toronto Krav Maga Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org