Krav Maga is designed to adapt to various circumstances in various settings. We generally train in studios but we don’t limit ourselves to these places. Why? Assaults can occur anytime, anywhere.
Here are some of the places you can learn Krav Maga.
1. Your Office: Many of us spend a significant portion of our lives at the office. Learn viable escape routes, common objects in the office you can use to defend yourself with, defending in a setting with chairs, tables, cubicles. Some Krav Maga schools offer corporate training at the client’s office.
2. Your Home: Home invasions are particularly disturbing because they occur where you should feel safest and might involve vulnerable people you care about – spouse, kids…. Learn how to escape, use common objects and prepare your family. Also, during the COVD-19 pandemic, people trained at home, some lead by online sessions offered by instructors.
3. Public Transit, Cars and Parking Lots: On the subway, streetcar, train… Road rage, carjacking, underground/above-ground parking lot assaults. There are many ways to better prepare and defend in these settings. Our school, for example, has training in parking lots.
4. Restaurants, Cafes, Bars: Owners, employees, patrons have trained in these settings that can be crowded and include many obstacles – chairs, tables, etc… A couple of years ago, for instance, expert Jean-Paul Jauffret taught a workshop in a restaurant. Of course, we were very careful!
5. Schools/Campus: Students learn to protect themselves in a setting where they spend much of their time. Bullying, campus safety…
6. Outside: Parks, parking lots, anywhere. It is beneficial to train where you have to consider sunlight, various surfaces (gravel, grass, stairs, snow…), outdoor clothing……In the warmer months here in Toronto our group of instructors trains at a park near our studio.
Essentially, Krav Maga can be taught everywhere. We recommend training in as many settings as possible.
After all, we don’t choose where assaults happen.