There is nothing more important than a good, safe, secure home.
Ideally, our home is our sanctuary, where we feel safe. Unfortunately, homes can be a target for criminals who are seeking property or a demented gratification from terrorizing people.
Unlawful entry can be terrifying, especially if you have children.
Here are nine tips to promote your safety.
- Be mindful when opening your door to someone you don’t know. Invaders will pose as salespeople, fundraisers – any role to gain access to your home.
- Have an escape plan. Similar to a house fire, you should have a plan to leave your house. Allow for different scenarios.
- If escape is not possible, go to a room and lock the door. You want to avoid direct contact with the invaders.
- Call 911. Also, contact a neighbour/nearby friend.
- Do not try to prevent the invader(s) from taking property or from leaving the house. Safety is paramount.
- If you have children go to them immediately.
- Be aware of items in the house that you can use to protect yourself.
- Listen. Is there one invader or more?
- Do not leave with the invaders (e.g. to go an ATM). The second scene tends to be more violent.
As always, the overall goal is for you and your loved ones to survive. Property and any sense of injustice are secondary to your safety.
You must log in to post a comment.