As self-defense instructors, our raisin d’être is to give you practical skills to save your life. This being said, there are other benefits to Krav Maga training. One of these benefits is fitness, something I like to call functional fitness.
What is functional fitness? Essentially it is fitness that improves your capacity to protect yourself. You will lose body fat and improve muscle tone but we are not preparing you for beach season or photoshoots but rather for real-life assaults.
So what does this involve? Here are five benefits of functional fitness.
- Improved Cardio: Training prepares you for intense situations that challenge your cardio. Striking, releasing holds, blocking, deflecting, running… are all exhausting!
- Less Body Fat/More Muscle Tone. We don’t take measurements but students lose weight (unless training induces irresistible donut cravings). High-intensity workouts utilize all muscles and burn fat.
- Flexibility: Training involves stretching as flexibility improves your performance and prevents injury that could occur from a sudden attack.
- Coordination: Krav Maga offers simple techniques but your motor skills improve significantly as you learn to use your body to defend yourself from various distances, angles, heights, directions…..
- Strength. Striking, bridging, escaping grabs, push-ups, squats etc… all improve your overall strength. You might discover muscles you didn’t realize you had!
Every exercise we do is aimed at improving your ability to protect yourself. Better physical health and self-esteem are added benefits.